Boy who stuck sewing needle through penis removes it through skin in world first
A 15-year-old boy who inserted a tied USB cable into his penis had to be operated on after it got stuck inside him.
The unidentified teenager, from London, told doctors he inserted the cable to “measure the length of his penis”.
But his experience took a turn for the worse when the already knotted cable got stuck with both ends of the USB sticking out of his limb.
The boy made several attempts to remove it himself, but this caused him to urinate a large amount of blood, prompting his family to take him to A&E.
The x-ray of the tied USB cable after it got stuck inside the boy’s body. The teen inserted it into his penis during a sexual experience that went awry. After repeated attempts to remove the object by itself and by medical professionals failed, an x-ray was ordered to determine the exact size and location of the object before surgery.
Hospital staff also failed to remove the cable using special tools due to the position of the knot, doctors detailed in the newspaper. Urology case reports.
The boy was rushed to University College Hospital in London for further treatment.
He requested to be examined in his mother’s absence and confessed to staff that he inserted the cable to measure his penis out of sexual curiosity.
After an x-ray revealed the exact size and positions of the knot, the teenager was sent for surgery.
In an effort to remove the cable, surgeons cut lengthwise his bulbospongiosis muscle, an area between the genitals and the anus.
Doctors managed to extract the knot through the incision and then separate it from the rest of the cable.
After the knot was removed, the two remaining pieces of the cable were pulled out of the opening in his penis.
There were no complications in his recovery and he was released from the hospital the next day.
Follow-up scans two weeks after the operation revealed no lasting damage, but doctors noted the boy would need continued monitoring in the future.
Although claiming that such cases are rare, doctors said previous cases have shown that a wide variety of objects have been inserted into the opening of the penises in the same manner.
Clio Kennedy and the other doctors who treated the boy cited needles, pins, wire, and pistachio shells as examples.
The most common reasons for doing so are sexual curiosity, practicing sex after poisoning, and mental disorders, doctors noted.
Inserting objects into the opening of the penis for sexual pleasure is known as probing, which comes with a number of risks.
If an object gets stuck inside the penis, it can cause several potential problems.
These can range from a burning sensation after urinating, large amounts of blood in the urine, an inability to urinate and painful erections.
More serious complications, such as the bladder, a hole appearing in the bladder, and scarring of the tube that carries urine out of the body may require major reconstructive procedures.
Doctors noted that a detailed patient history on the inserted object and the method of doing so is essential for the investigation of healthcare professionals.
This highlighted the need to discuss the problem with patients in an “encouraging, non-judgmental manner,” as patients may feel “uncomfortable” providing all of the relevant information, the doctors said.